Wednesday, October 22, 2014

It Pays to Buy Smaller || Downy Unstopables ||

I have been getting ready to make my first batch of homemade liquid laundry detergent. I want to add Downy Unstopables for the scent, so I have been looking up coupons, doing math to find the best deal, etc.

First, let me share the site where I buy my coupons from. Klip2Save has almost every coupon available at reasonable rates. Shipping is generally $1 for 3-5 day shipping, and you can buy coupons individually. If you click on the link, it will take you to the Downy Unstopables coupon search results.

I found two awesome coupons that don't expire until 11/30/2014: a $3/2 and a $2/1. I bought three of each, just to get me started since there aren't any sales going on right now. The total, with shipping was $2.83.

Now for some math! I based the following math on Walmart's prices. They are advertised as the cheapest in town. This will show how much it will be for 6 DU's. You might have to break up the transaction into a set of 4 and a set of 2.










Walmart offers three sizes.




Oz                 Price     x 6   Minus Coupons       Plus Coupon Cost       Total Cost______________

9.7 oz     -      $5         $30      -$15 ([3+2] x3)             + $2                $17      for 6 Downy Unstopables

13.2 oz     -    $7         $42          -$15                           + $2               $29      for 6 Downy Unstopables

19.3 oz     -    $9.75     $58.5       -$15                         + $2                $45.6   for 6 Downy Unstopables


(I'm not sure why I did $2 instead of $2.83, but you get the general idea)

I am always one to check on the price per ounce, too...



Oz                 Price                 /6                           /number of ounces       Total Cost per ounce___

9.7 oz     -      $17/6           $2.83 per bottle            9.7 oz                          About $0.29 / 1 oz

13.2 oz     -     $29/6          $4.83 per bottle            13.2 oz                        About $0.37 / 1 oz

19.3 oz     -     $45.5/6       $7.60 per bottle            19.3 oz                        About$0.40 / 1 oz




So that's the breakdown of it! I was surprised by this ... normally its cheaper to buy the bigger packages. At normal price, the smallest bottle was only a penny more per ounce than the biggest bottle.

I will be holding on to these coupons for a little while ... hopefully there will be a sale soon so we can save even more! If I order the coupons on Sunday (when the sales come out), I normally get my coupons by Wednesday, giving me plenty of time to get my deals. Family Dollar always has them on clearance, also.

I hope this was helpful! Stay tuned for the recipe for liquid laundry detergent :)





No comments:

Post a Comment